The GXL 2015: Titan!

Use this forum to post and discuss Lan Parties that are local (or not so local) to the North Jersey/Metro New York Area.
Murdock
Site Admin
Site Admin

The GXL 2015: Titan!

Post by Murdock »

The GXL Team has posted details on the 2015 party. http://www.thegxl.com
theGXL: Titan!
Submitted by stefan on Tue, 06/30/2015 - 22:34

We are happy to announce this years' big event:
Come join theGXL staff, TeamFortressTV, and 400 gamers this October 16th-18th at The Philadelphia Expo Center! Registration will be up soon, so stay tuned in to our website, http://facebook.com/thegxl, and https://twitter.com/thegxl for the latest news and updates from theGXL staff!
Going:
Bmeister
Murdock
Tome
Harlock
Digger
Son Of Digger (Maybe)
Murdock
Director
NJLANParty.com

bmeister1
Captain
Captain

Re: The GXL 2015: Titan!

Post by bmeister1 »

Hotel and ticket ordered. I am at the Hampton inn by Uncle Bobs Family Restaurant

bmeister1
Captain
Captain

Post by bmeister1 »

Update??

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

I am almost definitely going :P

Just have to make sure the wife is cool with the weekend.
Eddie is being considered as well.

That is all, for now
Bleh, Signatures mean nothing to me!

Murdock
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Murdock »

I started a "Going" list in the first post. If you are going, and you are not listed, let me know.
Murdock
Director
NJLANParty.com

bmeister1
Captain
Captain

Post by bmeister1 »

Dose anybody want to go out to dinner Friday night or Saturday like we did for fites?

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

I would say Friday is a no for me as I won't be there until 8 or 9.

Saturday, might be smart to decide Friday as to who is in and who is not.

bmeister1
Captain
Captain

Post by bmeister1 »

I figured that Friday would be a travel day. I would agree with you on that digger. Saturday night would probably be the best night. It also depends on where everybody feels like going as well. I would be up for pretty much anything.

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

Reservations made at the Hampton.

When do we register?

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

The GXL 2015: Titan! Games!

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

Games List

What are we planning on playing?

bmeister1
Captain
Captain

Post by bmeister1 »

I can no longer make GXL. Something has come up and if anybody is looking for a ticket let me know.

GXL Dave
Captain
Captain

Post by GXL Dave »

Hey guys, I'm the Executive Producer for The GXL. You guys seem to be pretty regular attendees so I was hoping you might have some feedback for us.

Let me know if there's anything you think we can improve on, or what you like that we do well.

I'll also answer any questions you have about The GXL: Titan

Thanks,
Dave

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

bMeister,
I haven't purchased a ticket yet, if you want me to take yours I can.

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

Hey Dave,
Last year was my first GXL for me, as you guys schedule the weekend pretty much on my anniversary, I have had higher obligations  >_> .
So I had moved my anniversary plans to the weekend after and now plan on attending regularly, the highlight for me last year was winning the XBoxOne!

Looking forward for some more fun this year. Is there any option to bring a server for hosting games?
Just wondering if I can bring a server with my laptop and stick it under a table so we can host some old stuff and new stuff too.
BF2, UT, UT 2004, UT3, HalfLife, HalfLife 2 DM, Halflife DMC, etc...

Thanks!
Diggs

Murdock
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Murdock »

Hey Dave,

Thanks for stopping by. You are correct. We have attended several GXL events in the past. We have always had a great time. I can rattle off a couple of things that I can thing of that lead to higher customer satisfaction, as far I as I am concerned.

Space - I am not sure what the measurement is, but I don't like to be squeezed in. I only have a laptop, so I don't need a lot. I think you guys do an ok job on this front, but another inch or two would be nice.

Reserved Seats ahead of time - It would be nice to select our seats ahead of time, but as long as no body minds if we save seats for our other mates that have not arrived yet, that's ok.

Now here is a suggestion you might be able to use.

How about a multi track schedule. You could have a track for the professional gaming tournaments, one for the casual gaming tournaments, and one for what we used to call, "Focused gaming". Focused gaming is open gaming, but with a specific theme or game. You could even have a couple Focused gaming tracks. What these do is this, they focus everyone not involved in the other tracks into specific games. This way, instead of only 5-10 gamers playing a particular game, you could end up with 20-30 playing a specific game. However, this only works if the attendees know what games to have installed.

Lastly, I have a suggestion for the prize raffle. We really liked how you guys did it last year. In stead of zillions of tickets, the ticket price was higher, so that worked really well I thought. But here is the suggestion. Instead of selecting an item and then calling a number, and then that winner ends up with a prize they might not need or want, how about calling the number, and letting the winner select the prize, and then back-announce the prize they selected. This way, the person will get a prize that they actually want, and higher satisfaction. This works well for a couple of reasons. The old way, you might be calling the number for a motherboard-chip combo, but the winner just bought a new system, and doesn't need any of that, but they do need a new high-end keyboard. Then you get to call the next number, and maybe that person actually needs the motherboard-chip combo. The one down side to this is, you don't get to select the order of the prize giveaway, so you could end up with all the really cool prizes gone early. One way to mitigate that would be to reserve one really big prize for the final raffle. (You might have to put everyone who already won something back in for that final drawing, just to be fair.)

I really get a kick out of the crazy stuff you guys do for midnight madness. Keep that up. The push-up thing seemed to get old last year. It was great the first year. How about a similar survivor challenge. Have to be careful here so that no one really gets hurt, but maybe you could do something like make the gamers hold a cup of water in each hand, while standing on one foot blindfolded. I don't know. It is 23:45, I am not good at thinking this stuff up. But I think you get the idea. A challenge like that might allow a gamer that doesn't happen to be a personal trainer win.

Oh...and a Shout-Box. Gotta have a Shout-Box. That is a great way to get the word out that a UT99 server is up, or they are looking for more players for a pickup game of TF2.

Ok. That's all I got for now. If I think of anything else, I will make another post. If we need to, I can split these posts out to a new GXL Feedback thread. I'll keep an eye on it.

Murdock

(P.S. I have bumped up your Forum Rank as you are a Staff Member of another LAN Group.)
Murdock
Director
NJLANParty.com