The GXL 2015: Titan!

Use this forum to post and discuss Lan Parties that are local (or not so local) to the North Jersey/Metro New York Area.
GXL Dave
Captain
Captain

Re: The GXL 2015: Titan!

Post by GXL Dave »

Diggs,

Congrats on the XBone!

I've relayed your question to my network manager. I have the feeling he won't mind you setting up your own server, but he may insist we bring them back to the core. This way he can better manage traffic, especially if the servers get a good amount of people in them. This is one area we're definitely trying to improve upon this year. Previously we've had the mentality of "players can create their own pub servers". While this takes alot of pressure off us, it does introduce some inherent flaws which have been pointed out to us by other attendees.

Murdock,

You covered a ton of topics and I'll try to answer/address everything:

1. Space is something we've always struggled with, it's difficult to make everyone happy with the tables the venue provides to us. As of now we have 8 ft tables which very comfortably fits 2 gamers (~48" per person) and less comfortably fits 3 (~32" per person). To combat this we layout enough space for 5 gamers per 2 tables, but unless we have someone actively enforcing this, people inevitably get scrunched.
2. I hope to start using LANreg.org for registration next year, which includes an assigned seating system. We've been hesitant to do this because of the 2-3 per table thing and it also opens another can of worms because we now have to make sure everyone sits in the right spots, but that's just laziness from us.
3. We're definitely doing a multi-track schedule this year. It'll probably be released a week or two before the event. Also, I've dedicated a full-time staff member to the "focused" gaming that you spoke of. Last year was horrible in terms of cohesion in what we call the "garage LAN" section and I plan to fix that.
4. My idea for the raffle this year was to have "fishbowls" for each prize. Basically have all the prizes laid out with a bowl in-front of them and you drop your ticket into what you want to win. Thoughts?
5. We're always looking for new crazy stuff to do, I think it's what really makes our event unique and fun. It's always a balance of fun and liability/censorship (I think the frozen underwear run may cross that line, but oh well, I'm keeping it damnit). We did get sponsored by BAWLS again this year so we're bringing back the "bobbing for BAWLS" event. I still have to figure out the logistics on this one. We used to grab a gamer by his feet and dunk him into a 55 gallon trashcan filled with water and pull him out when he tapped, which was fine 10 years ago, but probably wouldn't go over well now ;)
6. I haven't heard of Shout-Box, but I'll look into it. I believe my garage lan manager was going to rely on a steam group, but Shout-Box looks like a better idea.

Thanks for all the great feedback, keep it coming!

Dave

PS- I didn't mean to hi-jack this thread, if you want to move it somewhere else, just let me know.

GenTsoChiken
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by GenTsoChiken »

Man this is longer than I expected but here is my two cents...
GXL Dave wrote: 1. Space is something we've always struggled with, it's difficult to make everyone happy with the tables the venue provides to us. As of now we have 8 ft tables which very comfortably fits 2 gamers (~48" per person) and less comfortably fits 3 (~32" per person). To combat this we layout enough space for 5 gamers per 2 tables, but unless we have someone actively enforcing this, people inevitably get scrunched.
yea, definitely not too much you can do about the venue provided tables. I think the 5/2 (~38") ratio works pretty well but 2/1 (~48") would definitely be ideal.
GXL Dave wrote: 2. I hope to start using LANreg.org for registration next year, which includes an assigned seating system. We've been hesitant to do this because of the 2-3 per table thing and it also opens another can of worms because we now have to make sure everyone sits in the right spots, but that's just laziness from us.
Other LANs we've attended mostly do physical seating by the honor system since almost all attendees know they have an assigned spot of their choice. The only thing lazy on your guys part is committing to a floor plan with tables and chairs already laid out. maybe what you could do is have all pre-regs get committed space at 2/1 seating and have a "expansion" space for walk-ins set for 5/2 seating (call it a penalty for not pre-regging. A.K.A. the "Sardine Can").

The 2/1 space for pre-regs gives a bit of room for accompanied spectators if the main attendees pre-regged them. Walk-in spectators could float around the room.
GXL Dave wrote: 3. We're definitely doing a multi-track schedule this year. It'll probably be released a week or two before the event. Also, I've dedicated a full-time staff member to the "focused" gaming that you spoke of. Last year was horrible in terms of cohesion in what we call the "garage LAN" section and I plan to fix that.
It would be fun if you have the tracks named "Pro", "Try-Hard", and "Casual". Have the High Profile Tourneys on the "Pro Track", the Semi-organized Tourneys on the "Try-Hard Track", then "on the fly" Tourneys and P.U.G.s on the "Casual Track"

Also, definitely make the Tourney desk clearly marked and easy to find. Also, have rotating announcements on the screen(s), like count down timers to tourneys, a list of event hosted P.U.G. server IPs currently up, etc.
GXL Dave wrote: 4. My idea for the raffle this year was to have "fishbowls" for each prize. Basically have all the prizes laid out with a bowl in-front of them and you drop your ticket into what you want to win. Thoughts?
I really like this idea but maybe set it up in tiers. like $1 prizes, the stuff you're practically giving away. $5 prizes, lower end stuff like accessories. $10 prizes, mid range stuff like cheaper PC parts. then maybe a $15 or $20 ticket for the high end PC parts. all levels lower levels have the opportunity to be promoted up one tier at the end of the raffle, say grab a handful of tickets and then dump them into the next bowl before you start drawing that tier. "Door prizes" are nice too... base it off the admission ticket, presence at draw required or forfeit winning. That would help grab people's ears for announcements too.
GXL Dave wrote: 5. We're always looking for new crazy stuff to do, I think it's what really makes our event unique and fun. It's always a balance of fun and liability/censorship (I think the frozen underwear run may cross that line, but oh well, I'm keeping it damnit). We did get sponsored by BAWLS again this year so we're bringing back the "bobbing for BAWLS" event. I still have to figure out the logistics on this one. We used to grab a gamer by his feet and dunk him into a 55 gallon trashcan filled with water and pull him out when he tapped, which was fine 10 years ago, but probably wouldn't go over well now ;)
Not sure if bottles of Bawls will sink but you could have the trashcan filled with super cold water (3/4 ice and topped with water, maybe?) and have people need to stick their arm in up to their armpits to fish for bottles that would be numbered or something on the bottom and they could get free tickets to the raffle or some dinky prize. If you have one, attach a go-pro to the rim of the can for some in-face action.
GXL Dave wrote: 6. I haven't heard of Shout-Box, but I'll look into it. I believe my garage lan manager was going to rely on a steam group, but Shout-Box looks like a better idea.
Since you guys always have the massive projector up, you could effectively have a corner of the screen or something, that constantly displays comments or "shouts". I know there's code out there for shout-boxes but maybe, set up a bot to sniff twitter for a hashtag and display tweets to the tag. Something like that would work two fold, Public Social media promotion and you've got a shout-box with character limited input.
GXL Dave wrote: PS- I didn't mean to hi-jack this thread, if you want to move it somewhere else, just let me know.
no need to worry about that, it's topical and would help people that are on the fence convince them to go.

[s2i]Desolator
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by [s2i]Desolator »

Glad to see you guys are going to the gxl next weekend. I'm staying at the Hampton Inn too. Does anyone need a hotel room? I have two spots open in my room. Two nights, two double beds with breakfast included for $70 each.