UT3 This TUESDAY!

We can use this forum for all news posts about the UT servers.

Moderators: Osiramon, butchski

Murdock
Site Admin
Site Admin

UT3 This TUESDAY!

Post by Murdock »

UT3 is availble this TUESDAY!!! Where are you getting it? Who has the best deal?
Murdock
Director
NJLANParty.com

Murdock
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Murdock »

Anyone up for a field trip at lunch tomorrow???
Murdock
Director
NJLANParty.com

[FETT]Cupcake
Commander
Commander

Post by [FETT]Cupcake »

You'll have to let me know how it is, I've been so out of it lately that I didn't even know there was a ut3.

I hate thanksgiving travel week.
Steam Name: An0rak

butchski
Admiral
Admiral

UT3 is Great !!!!

Post by butchski »

Hey guys, Butchski here.

I love UT3. I think they did a good job, and the WARFARE is just Onslaught with some really nice gameplay tweaks (IE: The Orb, the Hoverboard)...

Many people have had issues running it.. I found a FAQ, and a TWEAK,
and after applying the FIX, and TWEAKS, it runs great on my 3 year old PC. (OK, its an Alienware, but it is 3 years OLD !!)

see these links:

http://www.gamingnewslink.com/2007/11/2 ... d-crashes/

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=586697

harlock
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by harlock »

Thanks for the links, I haven't had any issues with the game itself.

Been playing UT3 for a bit and I think that they did a good job. The Orb in Warfare is cool. There is a co-op mode for the campaign, I haven't tried it yet.

butchski
Admiral
Admiral

The TWEAK Faq

Post by butchski »

Here it is..

If this POST is too big, then please DELETE IT..

-- Butchski

There are 4 configuration files we will edit using a text editor like Notepad or Editpad. These can be found in My Documents\MyGames\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config.

They are:

UTEngine.ini
UTGame.ini
UTInput.ini
UTWeapon.ini

-

I have three goals:

1) To show a highly-compatable setup that allows players with older, lower-end video cards to play the game, and to help weed out technical issues by troubleshooting from a basic configuration.
2) To show a super high quality setup that allows players to play with the best possible graphics, regardless of framerates.
3) To fix a number of issues that many like myself do not like. This last section will have no real effect on graphics or performance.

Another thing, nothing that I write here is above constructive criticism. If you have technical reason why anything I say is incorrect, please reply to this thread with any corrections. Without further ado...

-

--- SECTION I - High Performance Changes, and Troubleshooting ---

Open your UTEngine.ini file. Most of the changes will occur here. Note: This _will_ make the game look ugly, but it will provide more than double the framerates of a maximal quality setup. Note: I have the resolution set to 1024x768 here, but you can change it to whatever resolution you use either in the configuration file or in the game.

Edit the following options like so:

[Engine.GameEngine]
bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=0
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60

This gives you a range of up to 60FPS in terms of smooth graphics, and works with the Vsync setup to ensure no screen tearing even at lower framerates. If you want to disable Vsync for any reason I recommend you set the bSmoothFrameRate option to FALSE instead. At that point the other SmoothedFrameRate lines are meaningless. But if you are using a LCD it will most likely have a refresh rate of 60Hz anyways, so it's not really neccessary to do that in that case.

-

[Engine.Client]
MinDesiredFrameRate=60.000000

This ensures that dynamic lighting, decals, and possibly other visuals are not used if your framerates drop below a certain speed. In this case, 60FPS. I recommend this be set to your maximum refresh rate for your monitor. If it's a LCD it's most likely 60. If it's a CRT it's most likely 85Hz or higher. This setting is largely useless if you've already disabled all the graphic options in the SystemSettings section of the UTEngine.ini.

-

[SystemSettings]
StaticDecals=False
DynamicDecals=False
DynamicLights=False
DynamicShadows=False
LightEnvironmentShadows=False
CompositeDynamicLights=True
DirectionalLightmaps=False
MotionBlur=False
DepthOfField=False
Bloom=False
QualityBloom=False
Distortion=False
DropParticleDistortion=True
SpeedTreeLeaves=False
SpeedTreeFronds=False
OnlyStreamInTextures=False
LensFlares=False
FogVolumes=False
FloatingPointRenderTargets=True
Trilinear=False
OneFrameThreadLag=False
UseVsync=True
UpscaleScreenPercentage=True
Fullscreen=True
AllowD3D10=True
EnableHighPolyChars=False
SkeletalMeshLODBias=0
ParticleLODBias=0
DetailMode=0
ShadowFilterQualityBias=1
MaxAnisotropy=0
MaxMultisamples=1
MinShadowResolution=32
MaxShadowResolution=512
ResX=1024
ResY=768
ScreenPercentage=100.000000

These settings pretty much strip all the high quality visual effects from the game, but it should be much clearer. The only graphical tweak I leave in there is the FloatingPointRenderTargets line, which is set to True. And that is because it allows you to see the Sniper Rifle tracer, and the smoke effects from behind the Flak ball, making it appear more like the Flak ball, instead of a glowing orange.

-

Another thing, if you have an older Nvidia or ATI card, perhaps one that meets the minimum system requirements, but not the recommended ones, you might try one of these options, depending on your video chipset.

For older NVIDIA cards:
[Engine.ISVHacks]
UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization=True
bInitializeShadersOnDemand=True

For older ATI cards:
[Engine.ISVHacks]
DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks=False

-

Another troubleshooting tip, regardless of video card:

[Engine.ISVHacks]
PumpWindowMessagesWhenRenderThreadStalled=True

This prevents lockups in the cinematic videos in the single player campaign, and possibly other times. I have no idea why this isn't the default setting, or what it means, otherwise.

-

--- SECTION II - SUPER HIGH QUALITY CHANGES ---

This is not a setup you use unless you have a high-end system that is powerful enough to make framerate issues irrelevant. I also have the resolution set here to 1024x768 for compatability sake. Be sure to use whatever native resolution is best for your monitor.

[Engine.Client]
MinDesiredFrameRate=0.000000

This ensures that, regardless of what framerates you are getting, you get all the eye candy.

-

[SystemSettings]
StaticDecals=True
DynamicDecals=True
DynamicLights=True
DynamicShadows=True
LightEnvironmentShadows=True
CompositeDynamicLights=False
DirectionalLightmaps=True
MotionBlur=True
DepthOfField=True
Bloom=True
QualityBloom=True
Distortion=True
DropParticleDistortion=False
SpeedTreeLeaves=True
SpeedTreeFronds=True
OnlyStreamInTextures=True
LensFlares=True
FogVolumes=True
FloatingPointRenderTargets=True
Trilinear=True
OneFrameThreadLag=False
UseVsync=True
UpscaleScreenPercentage=True
Fullscreen=True
AllowD3D10=True
EnableHighPolyChars=True
SkeletalMeshLODBias=0
ParticleLODBias=0
DetailMode=4
ShadowFilterQualityBias=1
MaxAnisotropy=16
MaxMultisamples=1
MinShadowResolution=32
MaxShadowResolution=512
ResX=1024
ResY=768
ScreenPercentage=100.000000

You can set the MaxMultisamples to 2 or higher if you want to enable FSAA if you have Vista and DirectX 10, or you can make the changes in the control panel of your video card.

-

--- SECTION III - USEFUL CHANGES ---

Okay now that we've gotten past all that, let's take a look at the other improvements we can do to the game, in order to make our experience better, regardless of graphics/framerate changes.

Again, in the UTEngine.ini:

[Engine.Engine]
bAllowMatureLanguage=False

This is if you have kids. It doesn't work without the first patch Epic is coming out with, yet. There is a similar setting in the UTGame.ini - I am not sure why.

-

[FullScreenMovie]
;StartupMovies=Copyright_PC
;StartupMovies=EpicLogo
;StartupMovies=MidwayLogo
;StartupMovies=UE3_logo
;StartupMovies=Nvidia_PC
;StartupMovies=Intel_Duo_Logo
;StartupMovies=UT_loadmovie1

This last section eliminates the startup movies from the game. This eliminates about 10 seconds of movies that play in the beginning.

-

And now we look into the UTGame.ini.

[Engine.HUD]
bMessageBeep=true

-

[Engine.DecalManager]
DecalLifeSpan=10.0

The default is 30. I set this so that decals never last more than 10 seconds. If you're hardcore crazy you can set that to a really high number.

-

[UTGame.UTPawn]
Bob=0.000
bWeaponBob=false

Eliminates your weapon from bobbing up and down when your character moves.

-

[UTGame.UTPlayerController]
bLandingShake=false

This turns off an effect which can get annoying, quickly.

-

bNoMatureLanguage=true

Why, this looks strangely similar to the UTEngine option.

-

bCenteredWeaponFire=True

The game default is to slightly offset where you aim, compared to where the crosshairs of your HUD are, to either the left or to the right of it, depending on what hand you use. If you set WeaponHandPreference to HAND_Right then you will aim to the right of the crosshair, for example. So I set the bCenteredWeaponFire to True to fire at the center of your crosshair by default, regardless of which hand you choose, or if you use Hidden.

-

[UTGame.UTDeathMessage]
bNoConsoleDeathMessages=false

[UTGame.UTTeamDeathMessage]
bNoConsoleDeathMessages=false

These enable death messages for enemies when they perish, as well as teammates.

-

[UTGame.UTHUD]
bShowDamage=false

This can eliminate much of the red flashing when you take damage.

-

In the UTInput.ini:

[Engine.PlayerInput]
bEnableMouseSmoothing=False

This turns off mouse smoothing.

-

Bindings=(Name="U",Command="showhud")
Bindings=(Name="Z",Command="behindview")
Bindings=(Name=";",Command="throwweapon")
Bindings=(Name="F7",Command="stat fps")
Bindings=(Name="F8",Command="togglescreenshotmode" )

Incidentally there is a difference between showhud and togglescreenshotmode. Showhud will leave your weapon in view. Togglescreenshotmode will hide your weapon.

These are some recommended changes on my part, though you can use different keys. If you use a key that is already in use by another action, then just put a ; in front of the line you don't want to use. For example:

;Bindings=(Name="F7",Command="set D3DRenderDevice bUsePostProcessEffects False",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
;Bindings=(Name="F8",Command="set D3DRenderDevice bUsePostProcessEffects True",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

-

And now back to our tweaks.

[UTGame.UTConsolePlayerInput]
bViewAccelerationEnabled=FALSE

This disables mouse acceleration. It's a good idea to do this and disable mouse smoothing at the same time.

-

You can open your UTWeapon.ini file and make the following changes.

[UTGame.UTWeapon]
CrosshairColor=(R=0,G=255,B=0,A=255)

Note: GREEN Crosshair as opposed to the WHITE default. (Thanks Warden!)

-

[UTGame.UTWeap_InstagibRifle]
Priority=14.3

I basically put an arbitrary number there in the Priority, making it a higher number than any of the other weapons. Basically if you come across an Instagib Rifle in the game (probably from a third party map, or enabled through a mutator) it puts the Instagib Rifle at the top of the priority list, something you cannot change in the in-game menu, currently. So when you hit SelectBestWeapon you'll be given it.

-

If you want to use a different splash page, create or copy a bitmapped image (.BMP file) that is 24-bit, and set to read-only, into the Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Spash\PC folder. Be sure to rename the existing Splash.bmp file before copying the new image into there. The new image should then be renamed to Splash.bmp.

-

If you want to try to use all the different character models in the game that are available, click on F10 to open up the console, then type "unlockallchars" and you'll see the Necris become available, as well as some bonus characters in existing factions.

Murdock
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Murdock »

Yes...but is there a web admin for the Server yet?
Murdock
Director
NJLANParty.com