Just dropping in to look around and say hello

This is the general information board. Please place any ideas for this site, our servers, or any thing else that doesn't fit anywhere else.
averyhawk
Master Chief Petty Officer

Just dropping in to look around and say hello

Post by averyhawk »

Hello all,

I am going to be moving into the neighborhood in the next couple of months and was looking for a group of gamers to hook up and game with. I am currently an active member in a west coast gaming group.... http://www.fusionlangaming.com
out of Sacramento Ca, we are self described as "a party where a LAN happens". I am hoping to get to meet some if not all of the members of NJLP and hopefully contribute to the NJLP Community.

Avery Hawk

(Erik)

Murdock
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Murdock »

Hi Erik,

Welcome! Where in the neighborhood? We range from middle Jersey to north Jersey. You don't have to be specific. I used to say we were based out of Paramus, but since I moved, I think Wayne, NJ is a better central point.

We are always looking for new people to hang out with, online as well as in person. We do movies, and game nights, in addition to LAN and WAN parties.

What games do you play?

What age range are you in? High School? Just out of college? Or, like me way out of college? We even have some folks way, way out of college, so what ever is cool. I think the youngest person we have had at a lan party was 8!

I'm trying to nail down a date for our next lan party...keep checking back...if the FD ever gets back to me, I'll be posting the announcement here.

Thanks for stopping by...
Murdock
Director
NJLANParty.com

averyhawk

Post by averyhawk »

Murdock,

To answer your questions,

Looking @ Monroe Township or Northern Monmouth county. Still working that detail

Most any thing, Bf2, 2142, Quake (variants), UT, 2K3 HL,
Not to hot on CS and CSS as my regular group really doesn't play it a lot,
Rainbow 6, I guess mostly shooters,

Age range, is WELL out of High School, (grad 1988) geez almost 20 years,
and a bit out of college range too...:)

Well that's about it for me for now, how about a little about some of the regulars?

Murdock
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Murdock »

That's a good location. Not too far. Plus, I am always looking for new locations to have parties.

You game selection reads exactly like mine, except for Rainbow 6. I have never tried that, but everything else. I started with Doom, and Quake I, and then right up the chain, to UT and up that chain, while playing stuff like HL, and HL2, plus HL DMC, and HL:DOD.

Same age bracket...I graduated the same year...from a high school in California. I used to live in Discovery Bay, that's thirty miles west of Stockton. I made it up to the Sac valley once.

Alright...the rest of you guys chime in. Anyone who responds to this message gets to be considered a regular. Plus, I'll give $5 off of the next party to everyone who responds. I have some bad news...the next party will cost $5 more than normal to offset some costs. :) haha
Murdock
Director
NJLANParty.com

kobalt
Captain
Captain

Post by kobalt »

Hey Erik, welcome to the forums! I think you'll find the local NJ lan scene friendly and more of a community than competition. Members from few lan orgs post here, NJLP, NJGamers.com, and WeekendWars.com just to name a few. Gregg from NJGamers hosts a lanparty every second Friday night of the month and most of the forum regulars get together there. Stop by when you can and once again welcome!
Why tiptoe through life only to safely arrive at death?

averyhawk

Post by averyhawk »

Murdock, you are from discovery bay? ..What a small world... I was raised in Concord and attended Clayton Valley HS..... LOL

Kobalt, I love to game but have never been a competition gamer (at least on the computer games) ;).

The FLG community here in Sacramento, is more of a social circle than a hardcore gaming arena, don't get me wrong we game and have good gamers ,but most of us are more likley to want to have a BBQ at a lan than have a tournament....

Murdock
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Murdock »

HA! I went to Liberty Union in Brentwood. I video recorded the Football and Volleyball games for the High School...so chances are, I was at your school. That's funny!

Were you into computers back then? I used to run the (415) 634-TREK BBS from 1986-1988.

We are the same way...We have other get togethers all the time. As a matter of fact, one of the guys is throwing a "Game Night" a the Paramus park mall tomorrow night from 6:00-9:30. The wife just gave me permission to go. :) So it looks like I'll be there.

Hey, I just looked up the area where you'll be moving to. That will be a bit of a ride for our parties, but not too far. We have two members down that way. One in the Trenton area and the other is near the coast.
Murdock
Director
NJLANParty.com

averyhawk

Post by averyhawk »

Thats pretty funny, I Co-Ran PIZZAZ BBS out of Clayton with a buddy of mine from around 86-88 also....LOL WWIV BBS and the largest running game of TRADEWARS.....that was a blast!! ahhhh the good old days prior to the internet....kids today have got it too easy......LOL

and for the record MY wife says it is ok if I go out an play with you guys...:)

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Monmouth County!

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

Sweet another gamer moving into the Central Jersey area!

Welcome and yay! See now we will have to have an NJLanParty LAN down here!
Bleh, Signatures mean nothing to me!

averyhawk

Post by averyhawk »

So when is the next LAN? ...:P

If I can get the house I am looking @ I could poss host a small house LAN
20 ish head count..... BTW did I mention I work for a Coffee Company.. :)

Murdock
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Murdock »

When are you moving in then?

One week after that.

roflmao
Murdock
Director
NJLANParty.com

averyhawk

Post by averyhawk »

Murdock wrote:When are you moving in then?

One week after that.

roflmao
LOL I need at least a week or two to get set up....

BTW who has the better broadband services out there? I am a Comcast customer ATM on the fastest they offer in my current "hood" which is 8meg in and 764k up....Oh yeah I get speed burst too... :roll:

Thanks

Erik

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

If you can get it in your town, Verizon FIOS is probably the best..

They're going to drop fiber right in to the house!
Bleh, Signatures mean nothing to me!

Osiramon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Osiramon »

Cablevision has been doing ok by me. And I think I trust it a bit better than Verizon. They even have a program that lets you have a better upload bandwidht and can put your own server on with good upload bandwidth needed for server hosting.

I'm not too happy about the idea that Verizon makes you use their own router, and want to hit all the spots in the house directly. I also worry that they will block services they don't want you to have, and will limit your own open ports. When I had them with DSL, they kept turning off services so that you could not even access a page on your network remotely.

And Verizon is blocking all sorts of things with their wireless plan. For example Blue-tooth devices so that you cant use their data network with anything.
Osiramon
A.K.A. CorpusDecrepid

KlepMod
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

FIOS and misc info

Post by KlepMod »

Hey all,
I can only speak from personal experience. I was a cablevision Optimum Online customer (no problems), but I have this neurotic thing about not wanting all my eggs in one basket. Currently using Verizon FIOS (20/5) and have had zero problems. Faster than the basic cable service, and cheaper (39.95/mo 1st yr) than Boost. Install was painless and free w/30 days to change my mind. Tome or Digger, anything to add as FIOS users?

As to the other discussions, 40yo dad of two here living in Trenton. Relatively new to this gaming thing but a full fledged addict none the less. Murdock is solely to blame for my conversion. We work together.

So, welcome to Jersey Erik! See you at a Lan soon dude.

-Bill