HL2 with Portals

This is the discussion area for the Half Life 2 DeathMatch Server.
Murdock
Site Admin
Site Admin

HL2 with Portals

Post by Murdock »

Hey guys...check this out.

Half Life 2 with Portals!

http://www.primotechnology.com/2007/10/ ... -2-portal/
Murdock
Director
NJLANParty.com

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

Yeah but can you trap people in a wall buy pushing them half way through a portal then moving the portal?

Remember the chick in Xmen who could walk through matter and she stuck Juggernaught in the floor?
Bleh, Signatures mean nothing to me!

NILL
Commander
Commander

Post by NILL »

Did they get it to work in multiplayer yet. I remember reading this last week and said they couldn't get it to work.

Just checked. From the article
Sorry, but we’ve racked our brains and can’t figure out a simple way to get multiple people into a game of HL2: DM this way. We’re sure some enterprising group of modders will come up with something in the coming weeks, though.
I don't think you would be able to trap people in a wall. When Valve made the physics for the gun they didn't want people scared of getting stuck or killed by a closing portal and it just pushes you out.

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

They really took in to account that people would be scared to get trapped in walls?
Might have been written for easier game play, but in multi=player it would be ausome. Open a portal step through and as the guy behind you tries to follow you remove the portal.

NILL
Commander
Commander

Post by NILL »

Play through Portal with the commentary on, they say it there.

I would rather have some one fall through the portal into a pit of some kind (fire, acid, toxic waste, bottomless).

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

Yeah maybe I should play with commentary on, its the only thing I haven't done yet.

I still want to see a body half way locked in a wall. Arms waving, legs flailing.

Majestic
Captain
Captain

Post by Majestic »

No you can get stuck in walls.

I've done the Portal maps hack. It's fun. You are Chell not Gordon. The portals don't work very well in HL2 maps. Shoot it on the floor and Civil Protection will walk right over it.

When playing Portal I liked getting rid of any loose objects like sentries, chairs, computers, security cameras in the incandescent particle field. The sentries make a funny sound. I used a portal to drop them right into the field. Many times the objects would get stuck on the edge of the portal. When you moved the portal they just moved along still stuck. To make a quick escape I'd shoot the wall I was next to and try to jump into it. Sometimes you get stuck.

It's fun to explore HL2 without limits. Since Chell regenerates health extremely fast, it's fun to kick CP's ass.

mobgamegraph
Private
Private

Re: HL2 with Portals

Post by mobgamegraph »

Murdock wrote:Hey guys...check this out.

Half Life 2 with Portals!

http://www.primotechnology.com/2007/10/ ... -2-portal/

The site that you gave is not working.
One-stop destination for high quality 8-Bit characters, graphics, themes, sprites, pixel art, and backgrounds. Create beautiful 8-bit games today.

Murdock
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HL2 with Portals

Post by Murdock »

Here is a link that does work.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-2-portal
Murdock
Director
NJLANParty.com